The Edinburgh Woollen Mill was founded in 1946 by Drew Stevenson, as the Langholm Dyeing and Finishing Company, undertaking the dyeing of yarn on a contract basis. In 1970, the development into retailing began, when the Group opened its first shop in Randolph Place, Edinburgh. In 1972 the first store south of the Border opened, appropriately enough at 81 English Street, Carlisle.
In 2001 Edinburgh Woollen Mills was acquired by Sir Philip Day and he set about improving its store appearance, delivering excellent customer service in a friendly environment and creating a “first price right price” approach with the delivery of excellent quality and superb value for money products to our customers.
The Edinburgh Woollen Mills Vision
To offer our customer quality products and brands, at an affordable price, in an environment and via staff offering knowledgeable personal service.
Edinburgh Woollen Mills offer a wide selection of exclusive brands in our stores including;
- Isle – ageless style designed for the 50+ woman, covering her smart and casual lifestyle
- James Pringle – established in Scotland in 1789 and steeped in traditional heritage for menswear
- PG Field – authentic countrywear brand offering a complete wardrobe for the outdoor lifestyle
- Hector Russell – authoritative kilt makers, providing quality clothing including traditional kilts, highland dress and Scottish accessories
- The Cashmere shop – (an exclusive destination for luxurious soft cashmere)
- Proquip – Performance golf weatherwear for men and women
- Hippo – Men’s collection of golfwear which can also be worn as leisurewear
- The Golf Company – Good quality golfwear for men and women